Started in 1872, founded by Robert Hoppe under the name zum Auerhahn(“the Capercaillie”), in the Wernigerode district of Hasserode. In 1882 Ernst Schreyer assumed control of the brewery. In 1896 the brewery became a stock company (Aktiengesellschaft, AG), and in the same year put out 25,000 hectoliters of beer. It was renamed Hasseröder Brauerei in 1920. The brand remained in existence, when Wernigerode became part of East Germany after World War II, marketed predominantly in the Magdeburg district.
Since reunification, Hasseröder has become the most consumed beer in the new states of Germany. It was purchased by the Belgium-based company Interbrew in 2002. Today, the brewery trades as a limited company